What is Sound? (5:15). This video is an introduction to the science of sound and explores the following concepts:
• Sound is created by a vibrating object.
• Sound travels as a wave through a medium.
• A sound wave is an example of a compressional or longitudinal wave.
• The particles in a longitudinal wave move parallel to the direction in which the wave is traveling.
• A sound wave alternately compresses (areas of high pressure) and expands (areas of low pressure) whatever medium it is traveling through.
Source: Discovery of Sound in the Sea (DOSITS) Project (www.dosits.org)